Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I have a tongue


I can't sleep. I am aware I have a tongue. I'm very glad I bought "A Short History of Nearly Everything", because it's the most interesting book I 've read in a while. I'd have said it was 'unputdownable', but it isn't, because it is quite heavy. Not only will you become quite knowlegeable about the only planet you'll ever live on, but you'll probably get toned forearms as well, from propping the book up to read. I'd also put this book as a case for the promotion of the study of literature and language in Singapore, not in place of, but with the sciences, which, for the past decade or so, have been viewed as the only fields of study with any practical usability. Read this book and realise science comes alive only when you have the tools of expression. You can put billions of dollars into technopreneurship (a term I detest), and all you'll ever come up with is a company called "Creative Technologies", which makes glorified radio-clock-like devices like a PC coupled with a piano keyboard. (Stay tuned for the PC guitar, and for the Asian market, the PC Angklong). Same shit, different bucket. More Steve Jobs and fewer Sim Mong Hoos please! If we don't up the emphasis on our ability to express ourselves better, we* are dead in the water. Chaotic thoughts from the old milennium indeed^. *Sadly, I'm talking about Singapore. ^Though I've nothing against this man's business acumen, but that is just it: business acumen. Nothing to do with creativity or world-shaking, ground- breaking achievements.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home