Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The goose is cooked


iTunes is playing: The Thrill Is Gone - Nina Simone - Tomato Collection
I can't taste anything. I have a rather bad flu. No M.C. to get off work though. Life's like that when you run your own bidness. It was a particularly harrowing work day, but only so after I had a think about it. Otherwise, I'd have been pretty alright with how things were. Pays not to dwell on things. No, no, PANDAN cake, not PONDAN cake! It's GREEN, not PINK!Speaking of which, I've been thinking a lot about my ex's wedding in Hong Kong in October. I've another wedding to attend that month, but it's in Lisbon, and it's not of an ex. So Hong Kong takes priority. I 've been thinking because I still haven't made sense of how I'm feeling about it. The ex wants a pandan cake from Bengawan Solo when I next see her, which will probably be at her wedding. It is this series of non-sequitur things which infuriatingly derails any coherent stream of thought. So, bugger it. Speaking of Hong Kong, and I know I have for a fair bit lately, my mother informs me that the famous Yung Kei Restaurant has closed its shutters for the last time. Kinda sad. I was looking forward to going there on my last day in Hong Kong (on any Hong Kong trip) and buying one of their prepared roast geese, packed nicely into a box with a handle, for to take on board (or checked-in) flying home. Apparently it's a pretty popular thing to do. Go to Yung Kei on your last day in Hong Kong, buy a goose, cross the road and take the train to the airport. Apparently quite popular also among the Cantonese is this delicacy: chicken testes. The Cantonese like their food. They like to make everything their food, really. If it moves, steam it, fry it, deep fry it, boil it, double boil it, wrap it in flour, fry it again and then eat it. On a business trip to Guangzhou two years ago, my business associates and I were being driven around town looking for lunch. One of my associates pointed at a shop packed chockers with caged animals, and she exclaimed, eh, so cute, the pet shop is squashed between so many restaurants, of course, inevitably to be told something to the effect of, 'That ain't a pet shop, that's one of our most famous restaurants. The ingredients are really fresh'. Not that I feel queasy about it, of course. I eat most anyfink. 'Cept maybe tasty chicken testes. Lastly, I was tickled to note one of my pet peeves is shared: From someone's Friendster profile. P.S. For some reason, my Funky Hongky Names entry has disappeared off the index page. You can still go directly to that entry's own page, but not from the Recent Posts links or Archives. Funny leh. Maybe Blogger is getting back at my blotting out the ad banner.


7 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

You serious?!?? Yung Kei closing shop???? WHY???? I lurrrvvve their roast goose.

6/22/2004 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Mr Miyagi said...

Apparently the Bird Flu did them in, or something. Dunno lah. My mother isn't very accurate about these things, but yes, it'd be a real tragedy if it really did happen.

6/22/2004 06:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i toTAllY sHarE yoUr senTimENTs tOwARds PEopLe whO tYpe liKE thIS1

once asked someone why he does this, and he says "habit"... ?????????

-dg

6/23/2004 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mr Miyagi said...

dg: Yeah, I know. I know people with epilepsy who can type better! It's probably not habit, but an inferiority complex. Draws attention away from the fact they can't write for beans, so penmanship (typemanship) comes into pLaY.

6/23/2004 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

Employee X used to send me sms-es like that too. I hate reading such messages cuz they really fuck the eyesight.

6/23/2004 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mr Miyagi said...

Why yes, it is from your Friendster profile, where I was pretty pleased to see you didn't tYPe LiKE tHiS and your testimonial column wasn't filled with ASCII-graphics of "bear bears" and roses. Haha! And keep me informed as to Yung Kei's status, please, thank you! I lurve the food there.

6/25/2004 04:16:00 AM  
Blogger cour marly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/28/2004 11:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home