Monday, January 10, 2005

Ang Pow Gong Xi Ni


I don't know why exactly, but Chinese New Year music drives me batty, especially when I'm doing grocery shopping. The selection of music at Cold Storage makes me want to pick up a tin of biscuits and hurl it at wherever I think the loudspeakers are. Gongxi gongxi gongxi your head lah! I was told off on the phone by a friend for sounding grumpy and sian. You'd be sian too if you had to work all weekend (and miss a long anticipated brunch organised by Myrick and attended by the finalists of the Asia Blog Awards Singapore Category 2004 - sorry guys, beer on me next time). You'd be so sian you'd join the Church of Siantology. Year of the Cock's coming soon, but I dunno if things will get better though. Church of Siantology Logo
Surf stop: Deliriousdreams (heh heh)
iTunes' party shuffle is playing a copy of: The Good in Goodbye - Cerys Matthews - Cockahoop, of which I have the original CD and therefore didn't steal music.


8 Comments:

Blogger Mandrake said...

Imagine the agony the people working at the shop have to endure!

1/10/2005 09:24:00 AM  
Blogger cour marly said...

Deliriousdreams -- is that for real??

1/10/2005 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

For a moment, I thought the mule-sick made you want to pick up a tin of biscuits and buy it. Heh.

Cold Storage, it's a NTUC as well!

1/10/2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Mr Miyagi said...

Heh. That's where you don't know Delirious Dreams, my friends. A friend/fan pushes some buttons on Blogger(TM) and gives her the password and UID and she puts in her two cents' worth of mangled verse once in a while. But that's only my theory.

1/10/2005 02:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about it. My mum is gonna blast the Gong Xi Fa Cai CDs very, very soon....

You don't happen to live near Sembawang do you :D? MUAHuhauHAHH!!!!

1/11/2005 12:36:00 AM  
Blogger .: aGent X ::.. said...

Different stroke for me - being a non-chinese in a Chinese school where music class is something that we look forward to in Sec 1 and 2 (no need study lah, just sing only).We always sing CNY songs as part of my music teacher's (Mr. Ang) getting into the festive mood. Without knowing what the lyrics meant, we would create our own version and innuendos. So when I heard it at malls, it brought back fond memories :).

1/11/2005 01:21:00 PM  
Blogger Beach-yi said...

Mandrake, those who work in the shops basically either tune themselves out or they use the songs to as a way to pass the daily humdrum.

My favoured method is to just pick one song I like and wait for it to repeat itself throughout the day. It's like trying to spot a plane flying over the CHangi Beach.

1/11/2005 02:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enjoy reading ur blog man!
yes Chinese NeeeeU EAR music drives alot of people crazy, from toilet music, supermarkets, taxis to your very own local clinics.
a friend of mine was sick last year, so she paid the clinic a visit, upon reaching there she felt better till they started playing CNY music and drove her fever up again.

ead.
eadwine.com

1/11/2005 03:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home